30.1.07

Put that in your cup and drink it!


Degrees diner has done the unthinkable:

Coffee refills have gone from $.75 to $1.25, meaning that putting my fair-trade organic coffee into my reusable mug approximately 10 times this week will cost me $5 more than it did last week!

In fact, the third-floor UMSU-operated eatery has increased the price of environmental consciousness across the board, by adding a $.25 surcharge to all takeout.

Of course I applaud the move. Degrees take-out containment has gone entirely biodegradable, meaning that your vegan-delicious lunch will now come with a fork made out of potatoes — they’re even hawking reusable mugs made out of corn.

And, considering that the former take-out dishes were composed of Styrofoam, Styrofoam, and more Styrofoam, the benefits are obvious.

But what about the cost? Will I continue to pay, now $2.25 for a large fair-trade coffee in an Ecotainer cup, when across the hall I can buy a “venti,” 10 per cent fairly traded Starbucks coffee in a paper cup from IQ’s for a mere $1.87 ($1 in my mug)?

More importantly, can you put a price on being good to the planet? Like the whole world before them, Degrees has.

And so have I.

Just please don't increase the price again! Please?


*Yet another one of my micro-torials that got cut due to space constraints.

1 Crazy Letters:

At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tessa,
I must correct your errors. Coffee at Degrees has changed from $1. travel mug refill to $1.25 not $0.75 to $1.25. Also you miss quote the price for a large coffe to go. We now charge Small $1.50 and Large $2.00 for coffee to go. I have restructured the price for coffe to stay at a universal $1.25 intstead of the old 2 sizes at $1.50 and $2.00. The net effect is actually a price reduction of $0.75 on a large coffee to stay. Also we do much to encourage to use of mugs by donating free first fills to the ceramics club and UMREG. Please if you have any questions you can bring them to us and we will glady answer them.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home